Monday, March 31, 2008

Ideal Classroom Layout

Our ideal classroom was a student-centered environment that was highly technological and manipulative. Our furniture was easily movable allowing for multiple floor plans to suit various activities and learning formats. Our room also used laptops for each student, various pieces of software, a smartboard, and flypens to enhance student learning as well as teach the skills necessary for 21st Century students. To put together this project, our group collaborated in class, through email, and especially on Google Docs. Using this medium allowed us to stay in teach even though we had very busy schedules that weren't conducive for group meetings.

Engaging in this process helped me see what was out there as far as classroom technology and furniture layouts. I learned what kind of floor plan would best suit my teaching and learning styles as well as what to expect for price ranges. This also opened my eyes to the opportunities available for students through the use of classroom technology. Many new activities can be done to enhance the learning if the tools are available to the students.

In the future, I want to include technology in my classroom. When planning my lessons, I want to know various strategies and activities I can use to increase student learning and participation for predetermined content. This also helped me in seeing the opportunities that are available for me as a teacher, and the various tools and softwares that I must familiarize myself with before I begin my teaching.

1 comment:

Gareth Long said...

You are right to focus on a student-centered environment that is extremely agile, allowing all the forms of teaching styles to take place. This agility helps allow students to learn in their preferred learning styles that are appropriate ot the task.

Most students know how they learn best - the difficulty is that many teachers teach how they were taught. These teachging styles often bear little relevence or similarity to the needs of 21st century youngsters. Therefore many teachers actually inhibit learning or alowing students to achieve their potential.

http://garethlong.blogspot.com